Ads 468x60px

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup


I can't believe it is already the end of January!  I've been back in school for about a month now and I feel like there just are not enough hours in the day.  I'm at school for seven hours, and sometimes when I get home the last thing I have time to do is cook dinner on top of all the studying I have to do.  In order to save me some time, I bought a Crock-Pot on Black Friday.  I figured that I could just throw ingredients in it in the morning and come home to a delicious meal, or make something that would leave me with leftovers for the week.  This week I will be enjoying this yummy Tortilla Soup!

Ingredients
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups milk
10 oz can red enchilada sauce
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
10 oz frozen corn
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 chicken breasts
shredded cheese

In a saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in flour until smooth.  Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk while stirring.  Return to heat and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly until it thickens.  Remove from heat again and add the enchilada sauce and remaining milk and stir to combine.

In a Crock-Pot, combine beans, tomatoes, corn, and onion.  Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture.  Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken.  Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.  When ready to serve, remove chicken and shred into pieces.  Add the chicken back into the soup and mix together.  Sprinkle cheese over soup and serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment