Ads 468x60px

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Beer Battered Fish Tacos

There is nothing I love more than the end of the school year (I'm joking of course).  These last couple of weeks have been filled with meetings, making and giving presentations, studying for exams, sitting through trainings to receive my Basic Life Support and Immunization certifications, and not much time for sleep.  Needless to say I am counting down the hours until next week when I will officially be done with my first year of pharmacy school!

With all of the school work I have been doing, I have been perfecting my procrastinating skills.  Since Cinco de Mayo is coming up this weekend, I though I would take a break from studying and share my yummy fish taco recipe with you.




Cream Sauce Ingredients:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp water
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the mayonnaise and sour cream in a bowl.  Add the lemon zest and lemon juice.  Stir in 1 tbsp of water at a time as needed to loosen the mixture.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  The cream sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use.

Fish Taco Ingredients:
2 cup flour, divided
2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup dark beer (I used Negra Modelo)
oil for frying
2 lb cod cut into strips
corn tortillas

Toppings:
shredded cabbage
green tomatillo salsa

For the beer batter, mix 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt and pepper in a bowl.  Add in the beer while whisking to avoid clumps from forming.  Let the mixture rest while you prepare the fish. 

In a large frying pan, add oil to a depth of 1-inch and heat over medium heat.  In a dredging bowl, combine 1 cup flour and 1 tsp salt.  Season fish with salt and pepper and coat with flour.  In batches, dip the fish in the beer batter, making sure all sides are coated.  Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Drain on paper towels.  Heat tortillas.  Make tacos with toppings of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment