Ads 468x60px

Monday, January 21, 2013

Buttermilk Pancakes


Growing up as a kid, whenever we had pancakes in the morning, my dad was in charge of cooking them.  He was such a perfectionist (I wonder where I get it from) and always made sure that they were perfectly golden brown. We always made our pancakes using bisquick, and it wasn't until last year that I experimented with making buttermilk pancakes from scratch.  Even though I made the batter I still made my dad cook them, since I am still scarred from one of the first times I made pancakes for my boyfriend and they were raw in the middle (he still ate them though so kudos to him!)  When I was home for winter break, my parents wanted me to make my buttermilk pancakes again and this time I actually cooked them myself!  Sure there were a few choice words that flew out of my mouth when I didn't flip some of them perfectly but they turned out just fine and I'm pretty sure this was the first time ever my dad was able to sit down and enjoy them instead of being the last one to the table.

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then set aside.  In a medium bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, eggs, and melted butter.  Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan and when it is ready, pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir just until combined.  If there are still lumps that is fine, you do not want to over stir the batter.  Scoop or pour batter onto the griddle and cook on both sides until golden brown.

*Side note: this recipe makes about 12 pancakes.  If you don't want that many, I would recommend halving the recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment