Ads 468x60px

Monday, April 28, 2014

Key Lime Pie


I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!  Can you believe it is almost May?!?  It's hard to believe that in just 19 short days I will be graduating from pharmacy school!  Since I will be moving back to California right after graduation to prepare for my residency that starts in July, I took advantage of Easter weekend to explore the one place I had yet to visit in Oregon, Crater Lake.  Thankfully my co-workers recommended some places for me to stop and site see along the way to Crater Lake because unfortunately, by the time my fiance and I got to Crater Lake we found ourselves in the midst of a little unexpected snow storm.  Both of us were not dressed for the snow and we could barely see across Crater Lake.

Crater Lake
Since my fiance came to visit for Easter, I didn't have to think twice about what I was going to make for dessert.  He loves key lime pie and always asks me to make my key lime cheesecake bars, so I decided to try my hand at making my very first key lime pie.  I have to say it turned out pretty darn well and was nice and refreshing after our Easter dinner.

Ingredients:
4 tsp lime zest
4 egg yolks
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
9 graham crackers, beat into crumbs
2 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325.   To make the filling, whisk lime zest and egg yolks together in a bowl.  Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and lime juice.  Set mixture aside at room temperature to thicken while preparing the crust.

In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar.  Slowly drizzle butter over mixture and combine until dry ingredients are moistened.  Transfer crumbs into a 9" pie plate, pressing crumbs evenly into the pan.  Bake crust for 10-15 min.  Remove from oven and cool on wire rack to room temperature.

Once the crust has cooled, pour the lime filling into the crust and bake for 15-18 minutes until center is set.  Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.  Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.

To make the whipped cream topping, whip cream using electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.  Add powdered sugar 1 tbsp at a time while continuing to whip until stiff peaks form.  Pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly over pie.


Mill Creek Falls
Rogue River Gorge
But first... let me take a selfie
SOOO MUCH SNOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment