Ads 468x60px

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pumpkin Cookies


It's already October!?!  Man did I accidentally take a hiatus from posting recipes. I'm sure you will forgive me though after I tell you my story so let me take a moment to catch you up on what I have been doing over the past two months.  

It all started back in August when I had six weeks off from my pharmacy school rotations.  I took a mini vacation and went back to California to help my parents move into their new house, which by the way has an awesome kitchen that I can't wait to cook in when I go back home for Christmas!  While I was back in California, I received a HUGE surprise when my boyfriend proposed!  Yes that's right, I'm now engaged!  The whole day was centered around food and a Giant's baseball game which is so fitting for me, right?  We drove into San Francisco that morning where we had breakfast at The Locals Corner which was delicious.  During breakfast is when he popped the big question and his sister was there to get it all on camera.  


Next we headed to the Giant's game, which they won, and after he surprised me again by arranging an engagement party in Napa with our families.  We had dinner at Tra Vigne and let me tell you, if you are ever in the Napa area you must try this place.  Finally that night when I found out we were spending the night in Napa I got so excited and exclaimed "OMG can we go to Bouchon Bakery in the morning!!!" since I had just gotten their cookbook as an early birthday present.  So the next morning I got to indulge myself in even more good food before I went off to go wine tasting and spend the rest of my week in Santa Cruz.  Needless to say, I gained about 5 pounds that week from stuffing my face with yummy food.

 

Now I am back in Oregon and am in the middle of my six week rotation at the Indian Health Clinic in Chiloquin... which brings me to my recipe today.  October makes me think of pumpkin, so it seemed like the perfect idea to make some pumpkin cookies to take into work this week.  These cookies are very moist and the frosting complements them well.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup Pumpkin
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla, divided
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tbsp milk
1/2 tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350.  Cream sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl.  Add the pumpkin, egg, and 1 tsp vanilla and beat until smooth.  Gradually beat in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Once it is all combined, drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are firm.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.  To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, milk, melted butter, and 1/2 tsp vanilla in a small bowl until smooth.  Drizzle glaze over cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment