Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Torta di Patate

After being in Italy for a week I am finally posting my first recipe!  I am going to apologize now though, because I realized on my way to the airport that I forgot to bring my measuring cups with me.  Not to worry though, I am going to teach you all how to cook like a real Italian without measuring things out exactly.  Also, just to let you know, most of the recipes that I will be posting are typical dishes from Liguria, the region in Italy where my family is from.


Torta di Patate, Potato Torte, is a typical Ligurian side dish similar to scalloped potatoes with a layer of prosciutto and cheese between the potatoes.  It is not however Baciocca, which I will be posting a recipe for at a later time.

Ingredients:
olive oil
7 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp salt, divided
5-6 slices of prosciutto
Fontina cheese, sliced
dash of nutmeg
2 eggs
3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
3 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cover bottom of 9 x 12 x 1 inch baking pan with olive oil.  Cover bottom of pan with a layer of potatoes, overlapping to make sure entire bottom is covered.  Sprinkle layer of potatoes with 1/4 tsp salt.  Cover layer of potatoes with Prosciutto and then with Fontina cheese.  Add another layer of potatoes, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and drizzle a little olive oil over the top.

In a separate bowl mix together a dash of nutmeg, eggs, Parmesan cheese and milk.  Pour mixture evenly over potatoes.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and potatoes are cooked thoroughly. (Side note: the ovens in Italy measure temperature in degrees Celsius so cooking time might vary.  If cheese starts to become too brown on top, cover with foil and continue baking)

No comments:

Post a Comment